Cuban music and dance are one of the main attractions that make the Caribbean Island a tourist destination to fully enjoy these artistic manifestations. MAC proposes not only an approach, but a unique experience that allows to understand and know the wealth and artistic values in the development of music and dance in Cuba. For this reason, we have created a program that shows the teaching process, the artistic creation and the spreading of these manifestations. Thistour has been designedin close collaboration with specialists in the subject and includes the visit to places and musical moments usually not found in the typical tourist circuits.
Bailando y Sonando
Departure from V Royal.
Visit to the Havana Compas Dance School. Renowned Dance Academy in Cuba.
Guided visit to the venues of the schoolwith performances:
• Brief review on the history, members, main national and foreign performances and working methodology of Havana Compas Dance.
• Theoretical-practical conference on Afro-Cuban percussion, as well as a brief talk about the origin of the percussion instruments used by the company on stage: drumsticks, chequeres, claves, castanets, canes, maracas, guiros, wooden flip flops, etc.
• Performance of some numbers of the company’s repertoire. Dress rehearsal.
• The musical numbers are performed by the dancers using all the percussion instruments.
• Audience-interaction through an exchange of questions on musical, professional and personal issues.
Visit to Callejón de Hamel, a community cultural project inspired in Afro-Cuban culture. Besides its murals, paintings, sculptures and installations of contemporary art, which do not leave anyone indifferent, another reason to visit this place in Havana, is music, especially on Sundays at noon, when the drums and the rhythms of the best rumba take the alley.
Lunch at a restaurant in Old Havana suggested by MAC
If the tour is scheduled on a Saturday, we suggest a visit to Café Miramar, to attend the “A buena Hora” Radio Taínoshow, broadcasted from 2:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. This is a unique experience to live a radio program. This live broadcast invites an artist or a band as the star guest of the evening. In a spontaneousatmosphere friends and guests share good Cuban music with the show host.
Return to Tarará. In the evening, performance of small format music bands on the terrace of Villa Royal. Downloads of jazz, bolero, trova, traditional music, Cuban music among other genres according to visitor’s choice.
In the evening you can visit other cultural centers to enjoy good Cuban live music. MAC works directly with specialists who, according to the interests and tastes of the visitor, propose the right place featuring the best artists from the chosen genre.
Casa de la Música de Miramar (popular dance music)
Tropicana (artistic shows of Cuban dance and music)
El GatoTuerto Night-club (bolero, Cuban music)
Jazz Café (Jazz Session)
Boulevar 66 (trova, fusion, jazz)